Chemistry Practicals Class 12
Qualitative Analysis of Proteins
- Perform science experiments at your fingertips
- Learn anytime and from anywhere
- 3D gamified way of advanced learning
- Boost your academic score
- Accessible through Mobile, Laptop, Desktop, and Tablet
- Gain a competitive edge in IIT and NEET exams
- In this virtual laboratory, you will experience a real-life scenario while doing the experiment.
- You will learn the terms – proteins, peptide bond, amino acid and zwitter ion.
- You will learn the classification of peptides depending on the number of amino acid molecules involved.
- In our chemistry lab, you will understand the formation of a peptide bond between two amino acids.
- You will understand various identification tests for proteins present in given food samples.
- Our virtual chemistry lab provides a very immersive environment and gives you a real-lab-like experience while conducting or performing experiments.
Protein is a vital macronutrient that is essential for survival. They are constituents of cells and hence are present in living organisms. 10-40% of calories of daily life activities come from protein. Proteins are large biomolecules composed of amino acids linked together via peptide bonds. Amino acids contain both the amino group and the carboxylic acid group. The condensation reaction of amino acids takes place to form a peptide bond.
Amine (NH2) is a base, whereas carboxylic acid (COOH) is a weak acid. The shifting of Hydrogen from acid to Nitrogen leads to the formation of Zwitter ion. Depending on the number of amino acid molecules involved in the condensation reaction, proteins are classified as, Dipeptide, Tripeptide and polypeptides.
The following tests are involved in biochemistry practical for the identification of the presence of proteins in the sample:
- Biuret Test
- Xanthoproteic Test
- Ninhydrin Test
- Millon’s Test
Watch this video to learn more about chemistry.
Requirements for this Science Experiment
⦁ Test Tubes ⦁ Test Tube Holder ⦁ Test Tube Stand ⦁ Dropper ⦁ Bunsen Burner ⦁ Spatula ⦁ Beakers