Biology Practicals Class 12
Plant Population Frequency by Quadrat Method
- Perform science experiments at your fingertips
- Learn anytime and from anywhere
- 3D gamified way of advanced learning
- Boost your academic score
- Accessible through Mobile, Laptop, Desktop, and Tablet
- Gain a competitive edge in IIT and NEET exams
- This biology class 12 practical helps learners to understand plant population frequency by quadrat method.
- This biology experiment explains the difference between often confused terms such as population, species, and individuals in a simple way.
- Learners will understand how to choose the investigation area for calculating the plant population frequency.
- This biology experiment helps learners understand how to plot the quadrat through simulation.
- The formula to calculate plant population frequency is explained through this biology class 12 practical in a lucid manner.
- This biology practical also helps learners to prepare the complex observation table easily.
Population is a term that refers to a group of individuals from the same species that live in the same place at the same time. Plant population is the number of plants per unit area.
Species is a collection of closely related organisms that are genetically similar. The individuals of species can generally interbreed and produce fertile offspring.
The frequency of the population is the uniform presence of individuals of a species within a community. To calculate the population frequency, we consider the number of species occurrences in the selected area and divide the number by the number of samples we’ve studied.
Quadrat method is used to calculate the plant population density. Quadrat is a square of a specific size, usually of 1-meter square. These squares are chosen randomly and generally marked with wire outlines.
Typically, a succession of quadrats is sampled to allow comparisons between phenomena, such as the distribution of a specific plant in two distinct places.
The plant population frequency by quadrat method is calculated as:
Frequency = Number of sampling units (quadrats) in which the species occurs / Total number of sampling units (quadrats) employed for the study.
Check all science experiments.
Watch this video to learn more about SimuLab.
Requirements for this Science Experiment
⦁ Cotton/nylon thread ⦁ Nails ⦁ Hammer