Biology Practicals Class 12
Ecological Adaptations in Animals
- Perform science experiments at your fingertips
- Learn anytime and from anywhere
- 3D gamified way of advanced learning
- Boost your academic score
- Accessible through Mobile, Laptop, Desktop, and Tablet
- Gain a competitive edge in IIT and NEET exams
- In this biology practical, learners will study about ecological adaptations of animals living in xeric conditions.
- This biology practical also helps in understanding ecological adaptations in animals to survive in hydric conditions.
- Learners will also study about ecological adaptations of animals living in hydric conditions in this biology practical class 12.
- You will be able to identify the habitat (xeric or hydric) of animals based on their modifications.
- Understanding the ecological adaptations in animals to survive in hydric conditions is possible through this biology practical class 12.
- In this experiment, a student will be guided to observe and list down morphological characters of the animals found in different habitats (xeric or hydric).
Ecology is a branch of science that includes the study of human science, population, community, ecosystem, and biosphere. Further, it offers a better understanding about organisms, the environment, and the interactions between the organisms and their surroundings.
Adaptation is an organism’s behavioural characteristic that helps them adapt to their environmental conditions. Thus in simple words, we can explain ecological adaptation as – adaptations in animals to survive under given environmental conditions.
The presence of abiotic components like temperature, soil, and moisture as well as the growth and survival of the biotic community in that particular habitat, are the factors that affect certain morphological and anatomical features as well as physiological processes that develop in the organism. These modifications or adaptations in animals are called adaptive features.
The habitats for terrestrial organisms range from severely arid environments like deserts to excessively moist environments like marsh regions. The environments for aquatic organisms range from little ponds and pools to deep water bodies like lakes and seas.
Here we’ll focus on the ecological adaptations of animals living in xeric and hydric conditions. Xeric means an environment containing very little moisture.
Therefore, xeric adaptations in animals are commonly seen in animals living in a desert or dry region.
Hydric means an environment containing plenty of moisture. Therefore, hydric adaptation is commonly seen in aquatic animals and amphibians.
Check all science experiments.
Watch this video to learn more about SimuLab.
Requirements for this Science Experiment
⦁ Specimens of Rat ⦁ Squirrel ⦁ Frog ⦁ Fish ⦁ Prawn and Camel model