Biology Practicals Class 12
Homologous and Analogous Organs: Study in Animals
- Perform science experiments at your fingertips
- Learn anytime and from anywhere
- 3D gamified way of advanced learning
- Boost your academic score
- Accessible through Mobile, Laptop, Desktop, and Tablet
- Gain a competitive edge in IIT and NEET exams
- This biology practical class 12 introduces the learner to the concept of homologous organs in animals.
- Different animal examples considered in the simulation will help the learner understand the concept of homologous organs simply.
- This biology practical class 12 helps the learner understand convergent and divergent animal evolution through the theory section.
- Different animal examples considered in the simulation will help the learner understand the concept of analogous organs easily.
- Homologous and Analogous Organ: Study in animals also helps the learner understand the importance of comparative studies to understand evolution better.
In different animal groups, several organs or parts have dissimilar functions and morphological appearances but show similarities in structural anatomy. It shows that the organs or parts of these animals are similar in their origin, i.e. the organs evolved from a common ancestor.
These organs are called homologous organs. The differences in their functions and appearances result from divergence, that is adaptive radiation to different habits, habitats, and ecological niches. This is an example of divergent evolution.
In different animal groups, several organs or parts have similar functions and morphological appearances but show structural variations in their anatomy. It shows the organs or parts of these animals are dissimilar in their origin, i.e. the organs are not evolved from a common ancestor.
These organs are called analogous organs. The functional and morphological similarity among these organs is the result of convergence, that is adaptation to similar habitats and identical ecological niches. This is an example of convergent evolution.
Homologous and Analogous Organs in animals help us to understand the pattern of evolution. It tells us about animals that share a common ancestry but different habitats, and also about animals that have different origins but share the same habitats.
Check all science experiments.
Watch this video to learn more about SimuLab.
Requirements for this Science Experiment
⦁ Animal Specimens