Biology Practicals Class 12
Ecological Adaptations in Plants
- Perform science experiments at your fingertips
- Learn anytime and from anywhere
- 3D gamified way of advanced learning
- Boost your academic score
- Accessible through Mobile, Laptop, Desktop, and Tablet
- Gain a competitive edge in IIT and NEET exams
- In this biology practical, the learner will study about ecological adaptations of plants living in xeric conditions.
- This biology practical also helps in understanding ecological adaptations in plants to survive in hydric conditions.
- Learners will also study about ecological adaptations of plants living in hydric conditions in this biology practical class 12.
- Understanding the ecological adaptations in plants to survive in hydric conditions is possible through this biology practical class 12.
- You will be able to identify the habitat (xeric or hydric) of plants based on their modifications.
- In this experiment, a student will be guided to stain the plant specimen and analyze those specimens under the compound microscope.
Ecology is a branch of science that includes the study of human science, population, community, ecosystem, and biosphere. Further, it offers a better understanding about organisms, the environment, and the interactions between the organisms and their surroundings.
While adaptation is a behavioural characteristic of an organism which helps them to adapt to their environmental conditions.
Thus, we can explain ecological adaptation as – the adaptations in plants to survive under given environmental conditions.
The presence of abiotic components like temperature, soil, and moisture as well as the growth and survival of the biotic community in that particular habitat, are the factors that affect certain morphological and anatomical features as well as physiological processes that develop in the organism. These modifications or adaptations in plants are called adaptive features.
The habitats for terrestrial organisms range from severely arid environments like deserts to excessively moist environments like marsh regions. The environments for aquatic organisms range from little ponds and pools to deep water bodies like lakes and seas.
Here we’ll focus on the ecological adaptations of animals living in xeric and hydric conditions.
Xeric means an environment containing very little moisture. Therefore, xeric adaptation is commonly seen in plants living in a desert or dry region.
Hydric means an environment containing plenty of moisture. Therefore, hydric adaptation is commonly seen in plants in lakes, ponds, rivers or seas.
Check all science experiments.
Watch this video to learn more about SimuLab.
Requirements for this Science Experiment
⦁ Watch glass ⦁ Slides ⦁ Coverslips ⦁ Brush ⦁ Needle ⦁ Filter paper ⦁ Dropper ⦁ Plant specimens ⦁ Microscope